Hulkenberg reportedly gets unexpected 2020 offer but hints at year off

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Nico Hulkenberg has reportedly received an offer in IndyCar for 2020 as his Formula 1 future appears to be over.

The German is out of a seat at the end of the season and only has the highly unlikely option of Red Bull left on the table, this after Alfa Romeo confirmed Antonio Giovinazzi on Monday.

According to Auto Motor und Sport, however, Hulkenberg has been offered an opportunity by Ed Carpenter Racing in the American series, though his appearances would be limited to road courses.

This is likely the result of previous comments the current Renault driver has made dismissing any interest in tackling the speedways.

“Ovals are not something that attract or strike me," he said. "I have a lot of respect for the drivers who do that, but it’s just not my thing. You can count that out.”

Also Read:

The IndyCar rumour comes after Hulkenberg dismissed reports of a DTM seat with Audi and indeed, claims of an announcement this week have so far been untrue.

Formula E is another place he is often linked to but all seats are now taken for Season 6.

Nico though may have just teased a Season 7 switch by suggesting he may take 2020 off completely.

"Maybe [I could] not race for a while. Honestly, I don't know right now," he said in Austin.

"It depends on what happens and what unfolds here. Once we have that answer, I'll look at other things.

"I don't want to rush into something or jump on something just to race. It needs to be something that I like, a challenge that excites me.

"I have no conclusion, no perfect answer for that yet."

Search