Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha

Baku race promoter wants to improve "unacceptable" F1 contract

Written by  Feb 13, 2018

The promoter of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on the streets of Baku says he will be seeking an improvement on the "unacceptable" conditions of their current Formula 1 contract later this year.

After an underwhelming first race in 2016, an action-packed encore last year improved the standing of an event Liberty Media had criticised as being another example of former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone chasing money rather than having any history or prestige.

Most will likely anticipate the earlier return to the city overlooking the Caspian Sea this year, with the race moving from June to late April but the longer-term future is now a little more uncertain.

Also Read: 

"Within three months after the Grand Prix, we must give an answer to the leadership of F1 about whether we will extend the contract for another five years until 2025," Azerbaijan's minister for youth and sport, Azad Rahimov told Tass news agency.

"Everyone understands that the contract we have now is unacceptable. I think the new leadership of F1 understands that as well."

With Liberty's desire to adjust the F1 calendar to gain new interest while also taking advantage of the surge in countries like Holland, it will be interesting to see if another successful and entertaining weekend in Baku this year will change their initial opinion.

Related News

Hulkenberg targets fight with McLaren in

Grosjean to get a "pretty good idea" of

"Optimistic" Alonso targets F1 title aft

FIA target engine modes in effort to ens

Rowland joins Williams as young test dri

Vettel not "worried" but biding time bef

  1. Latest News
  2. Featured

Facebook