Correa 'still processing everything' after 'extremely tough' period

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Juan Manuel Correa admits he is "still processing" the events of the past month in his first public comments since Spa.

It was the American who collided with Anthoine Hubert's car at the top of Raidillon in the Formula 2 feature race which saw the Frenchman die from his injuries.

Having initially being placed in a coma, Correa has since woken up and gained sufficient strength in his lungs to undergo a critical operation last weekend in an effort to save his foot, after the 20-year-old refused amputation.

“Doctors performed a combination of orthopaedic flap and external fixation surgeries and after 17 hours in the operating room, Juan Manuel emerged with hopeful news from doctors that the surgery was successful,” said a family statement.

“The days following the surgery were stressful, though deemed a success in the operating room and the next 48-72 hours were critical in the final outcome of the flap surgery procedure.

“More than 72 hours later, doctors are confident in a successful procedure while still under careful observation.

“During the procedure, doctors were forced to remove more bone material than they anticipated and solve several blood vessel issues, but state that the main objective of the surgery was achieved," it was declared. "Juan Manuel remains in a London hospital, and he is scheduled for one additional, less complex surgery in two weeks’ time.

“Doctors expect Juan Manuel will be able to leave the hospital in approximately six weeks. He will then embark on the road to recovery. The next year will be full of physical therapy, rehabilitation and corrective surgeries with the aim and objective of regaining the full use of his right foot and ankle.”

It was then Correa gave his first thoughts on what he has been through since that fateful day in Belgium.

“These past few weeks have been extremely tough, tougher than anything I have ever faced both physically and mentally,” he said.

“I understand my future regarding the recovery of my legs, specifically my right leg is still quite uncertain, and that my physical rehab will be extremely long and complicated.

“I am still processing everything that has, and is, happening,” he added. “I want to thank every single person who one way or another has shown me their support.

“I am humbled by the immense number of caring and affectionate messages I have received. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart and know that your encouragement and positivity have made a difference.”