Close Menu
InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Comprehensive assessment of the shifting power dynamics defining Formula 1’s radical 2026 era.

    Russell reigns supreme in Melbourne as Verstappen stages a defiant charge through the field.

    Ferrari stakes their claim: Leclerc and Hamilton lead the way in Melbourne

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com
    • HOME
    • FORMULA 1
    • MOTOGP
      • WorldSBK
    • SINGLE SEATERS
      • IndyCar
      • Formula E
      • Formula 2
      • Formula 3
      • Formula 4
    • RALLYING
      • WRC
      • Rally Raid
      • ERC
      • World RX
    • SPORTS CARS
      • 24H Series
      • WEC
      • GT
    InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com
    Formula 1

    McLaren chief Brown blasts Honda as patience wains

    RaiedJune 8, 2017
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    McLaren executive director Zak Brown has severely criticised engine partner Honda, giving the first indication their future together is being considered.

    The ongoing problems with the power unit produced by the Japanese manufacturer are well documented with the British team bottom of the Constructors’ championship and the only Formula 1 outfit yet to score a point in 2017.

    Previous suggestions of a collaboration with Mercedes to help expediate progress have gone quiet and in trying to solve their issues, Brown told Reuters: “Honda’s working very hard but they seem a bit lost.”

    He then revealed a major setback for McLaren ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix, before a wheel has even been turned.

    “We were only told recently that we wouldn’t have the upgrade coming and we don’t have a definitive timeline, which is concerning because the pain is great and we can’t sit around forever,” he said.

    “We were eagerly awaiting this upgrade as were our drivers and it’s a big disappointment that it’s not coming. It’s not lack of effort, but they are struggling to get it to come together.”

    While consolidatory criticism of Honda is nothing new for McLaren, particularly this year, Brown would change the tone claiming: “The executive committee [at McLaren] have now given us our marching orders; we’re not going to go into another year like this, in hope.

    “I don’t want to get into what our options are, our preference is to win the World Championship with Honda, but at some point, you need to make a decision as to whether that’s achievable and we have serious concerns.

    “Missing upgrades, and upgrades not delivering to the level we were told they were going to, you can only take that so long. And we’re near our limit.”

    Brown, who was brought in last year to predominantly help sure up the business side of the McLaren brand, concluded by speaking about the financial repercussions of the F1 team’s lack of competitiveness.

    “When you actually look at the impact of the loss of FOM money and loss of sponsorship, it starts to diminish the commercial benefits of what Honda brings to the table,” he explained.

    “And when you start to net it out, it doesn’t have quite the commercial benefit it might appear from the outside.”

    The chances of McLaren changing engine supplier for 2018 are minimal, however, as the deadline for submitting intentions to change supplier passed several weeks ago. This was highlighted by the news of the Sauber-Honda deal in Spain.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Russell reigns supreme in Melbourne as Verstappen stages a defiant charge through the field.

    March 8, 2026

    Ferrari stakes their claim: Leclerc and Hamilton lead the way in Melbourne

    March 6, 2026

    Hadjar gets Verstappen support, makes ‘bold’ 2026 claim

    February 4, 2026
    Top Posts

    Sainz receives reprimand for actions following Brazilian GP crash

    November 4, 2024

    The end of an era: Why MotoGP is swapping Phillip Island’s cliffs for Adelaide’s streets?

    February 18, 2026

    Valentino Rossi makes a strong debut in the BMW M Hybrid V8

    November 5, 2024

    Mercedes fined €10,000 for tire pressure adjustments ahead Sao Paulo GP

    November 4, 2024

    The 100-win countdown: Marquez enters 2026 season as the man to beat

    February 24, 2026

    Comprehensive assessment of the shifting power dynamics defining Formula 1’s radical 2026 era.

    March 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    InsideRacing.com© 2016 - 2026. All Rights Reserved.
    • Contact us
    • Our Authors

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.