Close Menu
InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Comprehensive assessment of the shifting power dynamics defining Formula 1’s radical 2026 era.

    Russell reigns supreme in Melbourne as Verstappen stages a defiant charge through the field.

    Ferrari stakes their claim: Leclerc and Hamilton lead the way in Melbourne

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com
    • HOME
    • FORMULA 1
    • MOTOGP
      • WorldSBK
    • SINGLE SEATERS
      • IndyCar
      • Formula E
      • Formula 2
      • Formula 3
      • Formula 4
    • RALLYING
      • WRC
      • Rally Raid
      • ERC
      • World RX
    • SPORTS CARS
      • 24H Series
      • WEC
      • GT
    InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com
    Formula 1

    Perez on the defensive after ignoring team order

    RaiedJune 12, 2017
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Sergio Perez was on the defensive after a fracas with Force India team-mate Esteban Ocon during the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday.

    The Silverstone-based team enjoyed their most competitive race of the season so far in Montreal, fighting with the Ferraris and Daniel Ricciardo for the final place on the podium.

    However, a decision by Perez to ignore team orders and not allow the faster Ocon through would see both drivers fall foul of a recovering Sebastian Vettel in the closing laps, meaning they finished fifth and sixth when the result could have been much better.

    Perez, who had pleaded with the team to “let them race”, insisted: “Of course, I’m racing for my team.

    “The best I can do is give plenty of points to them, as I have in the past. I think we got the most we could, and Esteban had many laps to overtake me, but he was not close at all.

    “I couldn’t get Ricciardo, so I don’t think he would have got him. Daniel was very strong on traction.”

    The former Montreal podium sitter also believed there was still a strong chance he could pass the Red Bull ahead when the order came through.

    “When the team asked me to give the position to Esteban we were about to lap some cars ahead of us and I thought that Daniel might get traffic. I only need two to three tenths to get the opportunity on him, and I could see he was struggling and I knew the Ferraris were coming

    The last lap of the race saw a furious Ocon trying to overtake his teammate chasing him right up to the finish line.

    “I think I just defended the position as I would do to anyone – I just moved once,” he said about the battle towards the final chicane. “I protected my inside line because of Sebastian [Vettel] the lap before just went past on my inside.

    “I made a move to protect that. If he was fast enough, he’d have gone through on the outside. I was just trying to protect my position.”

    The 20-year-old had an excellent first race in Canada and believed his first ever podium was possible at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. He also assured that the incident with his team-mate would be resolved behind closed doors.

    “It was a great race, all in all, it was just a shame I couldn’t get the chance to pass Ricciardo,” he said.

    “I think I had the pace by far to do it, a podium was possible for me today. That is how it is, that is racing sometimes.

    “We have to discuss what happened in the debriefing room. I am not scared at all. The talk will happen in the debriefing, there is no reason to be scared or anything.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Russell reigns supreme in Melbourne as Verstappen stages a defiant charge through the field.

    March 8, 2026

    Ferrari stakes their claim: Leclerc and Hamilton lead the way in Melbourne

    March 6, 2026

    Hadjar gets Verstappen support, makes ‘bold’ 2026 claim

    February 4, 2026
    Top Posts

    Sainz receives reprimand for actions following Brazilian GP crash

    November 4, 2024

    The end of an era: Why MotoGP is swapping Phillip Island’s cliffs for Adelaide’s streets?

    February 18, 2026

    Valentino Rossi makes a strong debut in the BMW M Hybrid V8

    November 5, 2024

    Mercedes fined €10,000 for tire pressure adjustments ahead Sao Paulo GP

    November 4, 2024

    The 100-win countdown: Marquez enters 2026 season as the man to beat

    February 24, 2026

    Comprehensive assessment of the shifting power dynamics defining Formula 1’s radical 2026 era.

    March 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    InsideRacing.com© 2016 - 2026. All Rights Reserved.
    • Contact us
    • Our Authors

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.