Close Menu
InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Comprehensive assessment of the shifting power dynamics defining Formula 1’s radical 2026 era.

    Russell reigns supreme in Melbourne as Verstappen stages a defiant charge through the field.

    Ferrari stakes their claim: Leclerc and Hamilton lead the way in Melbourne

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com
    • HOME
    • FORMULA 1
    • MOTOGP
      • WorldSBK
    • SINGLE SEATERS
      • IndyCar
      • Formula E
      • Formula 2
      • Formula 3
      • Formula 4
    • RALLYING
      • WRC
      • Rally Raid
      • ERC
      • World RX
    • SPORTS CARS
      • 24H Series
      • WEC
      • GT
    InsideRacing.comInsideRacing.com
    Formula 1

    Villeneuve remains critical of Stroll, slams COTA test

    RaiedJuly 1, 2017
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Jacques Villeneuve remains critical of fellow countryman and Formula 1 rookie Lance Stroll, slamming his post-Canadian Grand Prix test in Austin.

    On Sunday in Baku, Stroll missed out on beating Max Verstappen to become the youngest podium scorer in history by just 11 days as he claimed third place, just missing second by a tenth of a second as Valtteri Bottas flew past over the line. That followed his first points finish two weeks prior, at his home race in Montreal, becoming the first Canadian since the 1997 world champion to achieve both feats.

    Certainly, it has quietened some of the doubters, who have questioned the 18-year-old’s ability since joining the British team at the start of the year, however, at a time when in-season testing with the current cars is limited, what hasn’t sat well with Villeneuve is how Stroll was able to conduct a private test at the Circuit of the Americas in a 2014 Williams. 

    “He did well [in Baku], but also he’s the only driver who tests between races,” the former driver for the Grove-based team told Motorsport.com. “That’s a little bit tough to swallow. Money has to have a limit, and that’s pushing it.

    “But apart from that, it was the first race where he was not hanging on for dear life behind the steering wheel. He was actually relaxed behind the steering wheel, he was driving normal.

    “Good, why would I criticise negatively that? But that doesn’t mean the beginning of the season was good.”

    Lance himself brushed off Villeneuve’s earlier comments claiming he was “always negative”, but the 46-year-old stood by his most of his most stinging claims.

    “I always said until Montreal that it was pathetic, and it was,” he said of Stroll’s rookie year.

    “But I always said he won in everything he did with work and the same thing would probably happen here, as long as they look at reality in the face.

    “You have to admit when you are not good enough. That’s all. So I don’t know why people are getting so upset. You can’t go out and say ‘he’s amazing’ when he’s a second off the pace of Massa.”

    Despite that, Villeneuve has praised last year’s European F3 champion’s ability to maximise opportunities in two tricky races.

    “The points in Montreal helped him. He wasn’t quick in Montreal, but everybody broke down, he kept his nose clean, he got points, and that took a weight off his shoulders,” he said.

    “You could see it today. When everybody was banging into each other, he wasn’t, and his teammate broke down as well.

    “Yes, he was lucky, but he was also quick, he didn’t do any stupid things, and he got on the podium. Nothing wrong with that.”

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Russell reigns supreme in Melbourne as Verstappen stages a defiant charge through the field.

    March 8, 2026

    Ferrari stakes their claim: Leclerc and Hamilton lead the way in Melbourne

    March 6, 2026

    Hadjar gets Verstappen support, makes ‘bold’ 2026 claim

    February 4, 2026
    Top Posts

    Sainz receives reprimand for actions following Brazilian GP crash

    November 4, 2024

    The end of an era: Why MotoGP is swapping Phillip Island’s cliffs for Adelaide’s streets?

    February 18, 2026

    Valentino Rossi makes a strong debut in the BMW M Hybrid V8

    November 5, 2024

    Mercedes fined €10,000 for tire pressure adjustments ahead Sao Paulo GP

    November 4, 2024

    The 100-win countdown: Marquez enters 2026 season as the man to beat

    February 24, 2026

    Comprehensive assessment of the shifting power dynamics defining Formula 1’s radical 2026 era.

    March 9, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    InsideRacing.com© 2016 - 2026. All Rights Reserved.
    • Contact us
    • Our Authors

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.